Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Shattered Dreams

Not a great morning for your old teacher. First they take Adrian out of first period after reading his obituary. I held myself together for that one, but the actual "accident" out in front of school was too much. I felt like an idiot, but there I stood, crying, as Ahmon and Taylor died and Katie was terribly hurt. Vanessa, Jordan, Maria and Mrs. Fox looked like they were falling apart, and I wasn't doing much better--and I wasn't even in the presentation! I think today I'll hide out in the back of the auditorium during the "funerals" and leave if it gets to be too much. I've decided that I definitely need to leave this earth before you guys. I don't want to attend ANY of your funerals. So be safe out there!
I love you,
Mrs. N

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mrs. Neaves. It was so hard seeing everything that went on yesterday and then watching the funerals today. I don't really know Taylor that well but when he came on the stage I wanted to go and hug him. It was something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It also taught me to be responsible and not to take things like drinking so lightly.

{Heather Mayfield} said...

It was very hard on a lot of people that I talked to. I don't understand why they wouldn't let 10th grade go though. It isn't like we don't drink and act stupid at parties any less then the juniors and seniors. But, off of that topic. The project that we are doing in class is going to be rockin' Rachel, Brennan and myself have done an excellent job in putting our movie together. I jut know that it is going to be hilarious. I can;t believe that this year is almost over. It is going by way to quickly. I am going to miss all of the seniors. I always hate the end of the year. =[

-Heather

Anonymous said...

Shattered Dreams was very eye-opening for me. Going into it, I thought that I wouldn't get upset because I already knew that the people didn't die and that I would see Taylor again in less than 2 days, but after seeing the accident, videos, and today's funerals I fell apart. It is so scary to think that every one in three people are killed due to a drunk driving accident. Thanks to all those involved with shattered dreams because I know that it impacted me.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Goodness! If I had to watch Adrian get pulled out of class first thing in the morning, I would have broke down! So Mrs. Neaves, you took it very well. I'm definitely not the type of person to watch my friends "accidentally die" even if it is FAKE! I personally think that the whole shattered dreams thing had a HUGE effect on most of the people at our school! Well, at least the mature ones. Some people were really immature, rude and they thought it was stupid! They just need to grow up!
Mrs. Neaves! I can’t even believe you just said you wanted to leave the earth before any of us! You are the best teacher most of us have had and you a HUGE inspiration to all of your students! It was hard to watch Taylor “fake is death”, and it would be horrid to actually live life without a person like you in our lives!
WE LOVE YOU MRS. NEAVES!

Anonymous said...

The whole act of "Shattered Dreams" was a romanticized (sorry for the spelling) drama. Yes, while it might be educational and teach the morale of not driving while drunk, it was just too over the top (even Mark Twain satirizes this kind of acts in his book, Huck Finn). Maybe I just don't have emotions, but it still does not change the exaggeration of the play. Either way, whether in an accident or at your bed, human beings are born to die. Whether the being wants to die or not, it is something that we can not controll. Nevertheless, the participants performed extremely well, and it is a high point, among the VERY few, in GPHS. Also, it is admirable, that our English teacher cares for us, after all, before this year, we were merely strangers to her.

Ruben J

Anonymous said...

It was an eye opening experience for me as well as my other peers. It took what I already knew about drinking and driving and brought it to life. Everyone needs to see this